Friday 4 January 2019

Index of Dutch Reformed Church Baptism Records for Lusaka 1915-1971

I've had a go at indexing the Reformed Church records for Zambia on FamilySearch, beginning here.

The citation for these records says that they are from the Dutch Reformed Church Archives, Potchefstroom. They are baptisms from 1915-1971, however, they are not only from Lusaka and it is not always clear where the baptism took place. Other places that are mentioned are Mufulira, Luanshya, Broken Hill, Krugersdorp, Livingstone, Kalomo, Bowwood, Chingola, Nkana, Zimba, Bulawayo, Chomo, Pioneers' Rest, and Tara. Some names seem to have come from registers in Rustenburg, in the North West province of South Africa.

I'm sure I've made many mistakes, and some transcriptions are just guesses, but this could give you the start you need to get into the register at the right place. If you have any corrections to my readings, let me know and I'll fix them, but I've tried to be true to what (I thought) I saw written down. (Earlier I did a rough trawl of names in these records, which I posted here.)

Image 21 in the FamilySearch records includes some duplicated records from the begining of the register as well as some baptisms that are not mentioned earlier, but also have no dates attached to them.

See the full list of names here!

https://zambiabones.blogspot.com/p/index-of-dutch-reformed-church-baptism.html

11 comments:

  1. Hello, Neat post. There is a problem along with your site in internet explorer, could check this?

    IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a good section of other folks
    will omit your wonderful writing due to this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, can you be more specific, like on what platform, and what the problem is?

      Delete
  2. Hi there would you mind sharing which blog platform you're using?
    I'm going to start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a hard time making a
    decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.
    The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique.
    P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, this is Google's blogger platform. It's pretty simple to use, but also somewhat restrictive. It has the advantage of being free :-) I quite like Wordpress too. I haven't tried the others you mention. It's possible to customise a blogger website, but implementing some features may involve a bit of HTML coding and some googling.

      Delete
  3. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear.
    Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over
    again. Anyway, just wanted to say excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read some just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how much effort you set to create this kind of
    fantastic informative website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are going for finest contents like myself, simply visit
    this website every day as it presents quality
    contents, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello to all, how is all, I think every one is getting more from this website, and your
    views are pleasant in support of new visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woah! I'm really loving the template/theme of this
    website. It's simple, yet effective. A lot of times it's very
    difficult to get that "perfect balance" between superb usability and visual appearance.
    I must say you've done a fantastic job with
    this. In addition, the blog loads extremely fast for
    me on Opera. Superb Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this amazing post. i have also a same blog but i have get lots of ideas and knowledge form your post. keep it up.Again thanks for sharing. Visit My blog post:-NeuronReviewBlog

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comment and I'll get back to you if I can help.

Popular Posts